I write this in retrospect, so all I can describe is how I remember the fall of my health. The one thing I remember is that shortly after that dental appointment, I became ill routinely. My mother said to me “
You haven’t been well since you went to that dentist“
– And that always stuck in the back of my mind.
The first thing I noticed was that I routinely felt tired, lethargic… My leg muscles pained me… I seemed to always feel ill. I pushed on – as I had only begun college. After a few months of no remedy, I became tired of my constant illness so I pressed my doctor stating that it was abnormal for me to feel ill all the time, and I wanted to figure out why I have flares in my leg muscles.
After blood tests and scans, I would eventually get nowhere through traditional medicine. I opted to get an allergy test done to see if any foods brought on my symptoms. I was told that I was gluten-intolerant. When I cut out the gluten, my leg flares went – and my symptoms lessened, but only marginly. I had resolved my leg pains, but my health problems would remain.
As time pressed on – my symptoms worsened. I had routine bloodwork done, even with the top infectious disease specialist in the state. I had scans, and other various medical evaluations. None resolving my problem, and leading me to further despair. My symptoms as this point looked like this:
- Brain Fog
- Gluten Intolerance
- Poor gut function
- Poor bowel movement
- Confusion with words (Aphasia)
- Poor immune system
- Fibromylagia (Cured so long as I didn’t eat gluten-based food)
- Feeling ‘toxic’ upon waking in the morning.
- Poor balance/co-ordination
The more I read about my symptoms, the more I would always come back to one single issue. Mercury. So I educated myself. I read up on a number of anecdotal cases of people who were destroyed after dental amalgams. I compared my symptoms with their symptoms. I remembered my mother telling me that I wasn’t well after my fillings. I had ruled out all other medical problems.. It was a case of occam’s razor. This is important – Because my diagnosis wasn’t one of desperation, or one driven by a conspiracy against dental amalgams. I ensured to rule out all other possibilities first.
So in early 2011 I decided to take the plunge and have my fillings replaced with composites. I went to a dentist about 50 miles away who was familiar with the dangers of dental amalgams. He himself became ill through mercury exposure. While the process was costly, the amount of money I had lost through sickdays in work was even more costly. After a month, I had all of my amalgams replaced. I spent the next 2 months researching the best chelation protocol.
I had purchased a book by Andrew Cutler called Amalgam illness. It was through this book that I learned to better understand mercury toxicity, and the most functional protocol to clear the body and brain of this woeful affliction. I also bought Áine Ní Cheallaigh’s book on her recovery from Mercury toxicity, entitled “Getting the Mercury Out“. It was as if she was writing about my life-story, that is how similar our problems were. So in May of 2011 I began chelation. I began with 12.5mg’s of DMSA, using the Cutler protocol. 72 hours each week, every 4 hours.
At the time of writing this, I have completed 9 rounds of the protocol and will introduce ALA after round 12. My journey to recovery has only begun – But you can follow my progress on my blog: http://rejectmercury.blogspot.com/
I would certainly like to affirm that mercury toxicity is a real problem, and needs to be treated as such. Unfortunately it is terribly under-researched, so all we can do in the meantime is to try chelation therapy and throw up one anecdotal case after another until the experts begin to listen to our cries.