Thank you for this opportunity to tell my story. My name is Dr. Janet Stopka D.D.S. I am a practicing dentist from the south side of Chicago. I wholeheartedly support mercury-free dentistry. I became mercury- free and a mercury- safe dentist in 1996 after joining the IAOMT (International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology) who assisted me in saving my life. I was able to get rid of all of my symptoms.
I have not used mercury as a restorative material in 14 years and my patients are given informed consents. No one has ever asked me to place mercury in their mouth. They all understand immediately that it is toxic. But yet, many of them donâ€™t know they have it in their mouth! I learned it was toxic in second grade. I donâ€™t let them breathe it in if it is removed and I no longer allow myself to breathe it in.
I would briefly like to describe my experience with mercury. I had three small amalgams in my mouth upon entering dental school placed when I was twelve. My mercury issues started to become a problem when I entered dental school. ;There were approximately 90 students in my class. In technique class for preparing ourselves to work on live patients 90 students opened capsules of amalgam to scrape out fillings without vacuum suctions to pick up the scrap. Most of the bio-hazardous waste sat on the floor until the cleaning crew came in at night. The very next morning I woke up unable to bend five of my fingers. ;(Not a good symptom to have for a prospective dentist).
I went to doctors and they found I was perfectly healthy. Nothing was found wrong with me. I had blood tests done and even served in the USAF (United States Air Force) dental corps for three years. But the military places lots of mercury fillings. After my residency the first year, I was on the amalgam line for recurrent decay and fractured teeth. Over the course of the next few years I developed more symptoms despite the doctors telling me that I was perfectly healthy. My symptoms were not only the five swollen joints but...
Looking back at my life there is an old expression that hindsight is 20/20. Listen to what I observed in dental school....
There is an old expression that hindsight is 20/20. And we all learned how toxic mercury is in second grade. Why when you graduate from dental school is it rendered nontoxic? Fortunate for me my uncle was a medical doctor (ENT, Allergist) and told me there was a problem with mercury. I remembered him saying that to me while I was in school.
Mercury fillings are a 200 year old mistake of the profession.
Because I wanted to become a productive member of society and graduate I poisoned myself. I want to help prevent others from getting that ill. I can go on about how I detoxified myself but suffice it to say I can bend my fingers, I have no headaches, my ears are clear, and I can now eat a cow :-)
Dr. Janet Stopka D.D.S.